Hugh Neilson, FCPA, FCA, TEPTaxation
Hugh Neilson became an independent contractor to Kingston Ross Pasnak LLP, as Director, Taxation Services, in 2013. Hugh has over 25 years of public practice experience, focusing on income tax services for individuals and owner-managed private corporations, and provides tax consultation in many diverse areas. Hugh is the 2014 recipient of CPA Canada’s Award for Excellence in Income Tax.
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Alberta - 1987
- Chartered Accountant Designation, Alberta - 1991
- Canadian silver medallist, Alberta gold medallist on Uniform Final Examination
- Awarded Fellow of the Chartered Accountants - 2010
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants In-Depth Tax Course January - 1994
- Member, Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners - 2000
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Numerous professional development courses and conferences through the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta, the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, the Canadian Tax Foundation and the Society for Trusts and Estate Practitioners.
Hugh provides tax consultations services to taxpayers and their advisors on a wide array of taxation and business matters, including:
- Income and other taxation effects of death, including pre- and post-mortem planning to achieve tax-effective estate planning.
- Canadian and United States income tax effects of Canadian residents earning income in the United States and United States citizens residing in Canada, including United States income tax compliance.
- Income and other taxation effects of immigration to and emigration from Canada, including planning to minimize income tax liabilities.
- Strategies and planning to minimize family income tax liabilities.
- Planning and implementation of inter vivos and testamentary trusts to achieve personal and financial objectives in a tax-effective manner.
Taxation and Business Matters:
- Income and other taxation matters related to owner-managed Canadian controlled private corporations, including corporate share structure, income tax planning, remuneration strategies and planning for business succession.
- Strategies for tax-effective winding-up, dissolution, liquidation, merger and division of private closely held Canadian corporations.
- Design and implementation of strategies to transfer assets between individuals, corporations, partnerships and trusts on a tax-effective basis.
- Income and other tax effects of business acquisitions and disposals, including techniques to enhance tax effectiveness of such transactions.
- Planning and implementation of business structure, including reorganizations to achieve financial objectives in a tax-effective manner.
- Strategies for tax-effective business structures to facilitate repatriation of earnings to United States investors in Canadian business operations.
Divorce, Matrimonial Property Division and Litigation Matters:
- Income tax effects of support payments.
- Income tax effects of matrimonial property division.
- Structuring and actualizing matrimonial property settlements in a tax-effective manner.
Professional and Community Activities:
- Joint Committee on Taxation, CPA Canada and Canadian Bar Association, 2016
- Governor, Canadian Tax Foundation - 2014 to present
- CPA Canada Small and Medium Practitioners Tax Committee – 2014 to present
- Director and Treasurer, Centre for Public Legal Education In Alberta - 2013 to present
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta Tax Working Group - 2012 to present
- CPA Canada Income Tax Education Committee - 2012 to present
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants/CPA Canada National Conference on Income Taxes Committee - 2005 – 2006; 2008; 2013
- Author/Presenter – Canadian Tax Foundation Prairie Provinces Tax Conference - 2013
- Presenter - CA Forum North sponsored by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta - 2013 - 2014
- Co-author - Canadian Tax Foundation’s Tax for Owner Manager - 2011
- Presenter - Banff Small Practitioners Forum sponsored by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta - 2010 – 2012; 2014
- Co-Presenter of Video Tax News courses, including Marriage/Common Law Breakdown, 2008, How to Prepare a Personal Tax Return from Start to Finish, 2009 – 2014, Corporate Tax Returns Newbie to Ninja, 2014, and annual Tax Tips and Traps Tax Adventure course 2010 – 2014,
- Member of Board of Editors, Video Tax News – 2013 to present
- Presenter – Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants National Conference on Income Taxes - 2005; 2007; 2009; 2014
- Supermentor – taxation courses and curriculum offered across Canada under management of Chartered Accountants Pooled Professional Development Group (CAPPD) - 2004 to present
- Author – Taxation-related articles in Video News Inc. regular monthly contributions 2006 -, Law Now most recently 2014, and Lawyer’s Weekly, most recently 2003
- Course Instructor - Institutes of Chartered Accountants of Alberta and Saskatchewan Various Professional Development Courses in Taxation - 1999 to present
- Course Mentor and Author of Various Professional Development Courses in Taxation - CA Pooled Professional Development, Institutes of Chartered Accountants of Alberta and Ontario: 1995 to present
- Various marking and seminars for pre-certification education program - 1991 – 2012