Deanna Muise, BCom, CPA, CA, TEPTaxation
Deanna Muise is one of three Metis partners with Kingston Ross Pasnak LLP and has a practice providing taxation services to the firm’s clients, including estate and business planning, corporate reorganizations, business structuring, working with clients on business purchases and sales and reviewing corporate and personal income tax issues.
- Member of Society of Tax and Estate Practitioners - 2003 to present
- AFOA Conferences and sessions
- Numerous CICA and other advanced tax courses, conferences and seminars- 1992 to present
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants In-Depth Tax Program - 1992
- Member of Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants and Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta since 1990 (Vic Dzurko Honor Roll)
- Bachelor of Commerce - 1987 University of Alberta
Deanna has been practicing in the taxation area for the past twenty-nine years. She heads up the KRP taxation group along with three other Tax Partners, several Principals and Managers and numerous full time tax staff. Deanna has taught taxation courses to students enrolled in the C.A. program; marked tax examinations for the Institute of Chartered Accountants; presented papers at the Legal Education Society of Alberta's Spring Conference and the Prairie Tax Conference; guest lectured at the University of Alberta and presented numerous tax seminars to the Canadian Bar Association, clients, legal firms, staff and the general public.
Selected Tax Experience:
Deanna has completed numerous tax plans for clients including the following:
- Structured start-up companies to maximize future tax savings and deferrals .
- Devised a plan to allow the partitioning of land to facilitate a sale by one of the owners on a tax-assisted basis.
- Restructuring corporate groups before and after share and asset sales to reduce and defer taxes on the sale.
- Structured plans for U.S. entities expanding into Canada and Canadian entities expanding into the U.S.
- Set up structures to retain tax exempt status of income to First Nations entities.
- Due diligence projects for clients purchasing businesses.
- Restructured corporate groups to maximize small business deductions, creditor proof and crystallize capital gains exemptions.
- Completed large butterfly transactions to allow ownership of corporate groups to be divided on a tax-deferred basis between divorcing parties.
- Estate planning for individuals to minimize tax on death and facilitate the introduction of the second generation.
Professional and Community Activities:
- Director of First Nations Financial Management Board, 2013 to current
- Chair of the Governance and Human Resources Committee for First Nations Financial Management Board, 2015 to current
- Vice Chair of the Special Projects Initiative of the First Nations Financial Management Board, 2016 to 2017
- Member of the Executive Committee of the First Nations Financial Management Board, 2015 to currrent
- Member of the Society of Tax and Estate Practitioners, 2003 to current
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta and of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants since 1990
Member of the Canadian Tax Foundation since 1990
- Edmonton Tax Lawyers and Accountants Discussion Group since 1992 to present (as President 1998-2002 and Vice-President 1996-1997)
- Chair of the KRP Golf Classic – Edmonton Women’s Four Ball Match Play Tournament
- Co-Chair of the Wine, Women and Shoes Fundraiser for the Golf Canada Foundation
- Member of the Highlands Golf Club, 2006 to present
- Alberta Member of the CA School of Business Admissions & Standards Appeal Committee, 2003 to 2008
- Member of the ICAA Registration Committee, 2001 to 2005
- Member of Champions Together 2002 – Canadian Olympic Association Organizing Committee