Mark G. Jones, BCom, CPA, CA, CBVBusiness Valuations & Financial Litigation Support
Mr. Jones is a Principal with Kingston Ross Pasnak LLP and practices in the areas of business valuations, litigation support, due diligence and forensic accounting services.
Mr. Jones obtained a Bachelor of Commerce degree with great distinction, majoring in accounting, from the University of Saskatchewan in April of 2000. Upon graduation, he received the Harold Milavsky Award in Accounting in recognition of being the top accounting student from the University of Saskatchewan to begin his articles in Alberta. He obtained his designation as a Chartered Accountant with the Alberta Institute in January of 2003. In November of 2007, Mark obtained his Chartered Business Valuator designation from the Canadian Institute of Charted Business Valuators. He obtained the top mark in Canada in both the Introductory Business and Securities Valuation course and the Litigation Support II course in the Chartered Business Valuator program.
Mr. Jones spent four years of his public practice career with a mid-sized firm in Red Deer, Collins Barrow Red Deer LLP, working in their assurance and auditing practice and in the information technology area. After a year and a half in industry as a Controller, Mark currently works directly with Mr. Randy G. Popik in the provision of business valuation and litigation support services on a full-time basis at KRP since 2005.
Selected Business Valuation Experience:
- Valuation of numerous companies, in particular oilfield servicing companies serving the Alberta oil patch, for purposes of shareholding planning, potential acquisition, potential divestiture, and succession, including advisory services related to the structure, terms, and corresponding estimated after-tax proceeds to vending shareholder(s).
- Valuation and advisory services to numerous companies pursuant to taxation planning and “estate freeze” transactions.
- Valuation of a company operating a tramway in the tourism industry in Alberta.
- Valuation of a corporate group of companies involved in property development and the manufacture and retail of construction products for purposes of a matrimonial dissolution.
- Valuation of a company specializing in the construction and servicing of water and wastewater treatment and pumping facilities.
- Valuation of a business operating in the provision of two-way radio, data and wireless systems.
- Valuation of a Yukon engineering company pursuant to a shareholder dispute and supported Mr. Randy G. Popik in giving evidence at trial (2012 YKSC Harvey v. 5505 Yukon Ltd. et al).
- Valuation of a provider of operations and maintenance services to the oil and gas industry in Alberta.
- Valuation of a land developer and builder of single family and multi-family residential housing.
- Valuation of a successful and growing software developer in Alberta.
- Valuation of intellectual property and software of a clinical service provider to children with developmental disabilities.
- Valuation of a Saskatchewan construction company in the context of a shareholder dispute.
- Valuation, advisory and due diligence services to advise clients on the potential acquisition of a subject company.
Selected Litigation Support, Advisory and Forensic Review Experience:
- Accepted as expert in financial and economic analysis at a Judicial Dispute Resolution (JDR) in November of 2012 regarding the quantification of economic damages in personal injury matter involving a self-employed farmer.
- Assisted counsel for the Alberta Municipal Government Board in preparation for hearings on the assessment of linear property, including critique and rebuttal arguments of opposing experts.
- Numerous quantifications of economic damages involving personal injury, fatality and breach of contract actions in litigation.
- Quantification of economic damages in a breach of contract action involving a company operating a pulp mill and a company operating an electric generation facility in Alberta.
- Advisory services to counsel on behalf of municipalities in the context of commercial real estate market value assessment.
- Critical review of and allocation of common costs report between two non-arm’s length operating entities for submission to the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission.
- Comprehensive analysis of potential loan impairment of an Alberta gaming venture.
- Preparation of numerous business interruption claims pursuant to insurable claims.
- Preparation of Written Argument and Reply in a matter before the Alberta Utilities Commission.
- Preparation of quantification of damages pursuant to municipal and provincial expropriations of businesses.
- Quantifications of equalization payments and guideline income calculations pursuant to matrimonial dissolution.
- Planning and conducting investigative and forensic review engagements.
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants Alberta
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants Canada (formerly CICA)
- Member, Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators
- Member and Past Treasurer, St. Albert Road Runners and Triathlon Club