The Alberta Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant
Information provided here is of a general nature and deals with time sensitive information that is changing on a rapid basis. Information may not apply to your particular facts and circumstances and should not be relied upon in lieu of seeking advice from your professional advisors. Neither KRP nor its partners, directors, contractors or employees will be liable for any actions taken from reliance on this information. Links to other websites or publications are provided for your convenience only and you may access them at your own risk. By supplying this information, KRP is not providing tax, accounting, legal, or professional service or advice.
This page was last updated on December 17, 2020.
The Alberta Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant provides financial assistance to Alberta businesses, cooperatives and non-profit organizations that have been ordered to close or curtail their operations as a result of a public health order and have experienced a revenue reduction of at least 30% in April or May 2020 due to COVID-19. This revenue reduction is calculated by comparing monthly revenues for April 2020 or May 2020 to monthly revenues for April 2019, May 2019, or February 2020 (special rules apply to seasonal businesses).
Under the first payment intake of the program, organizations can receive 15% of their revenue in either April 2019, May 2019 or February 2020, up to a maximum of $5,000 (special rules apply to seasonal businesses). Businesses with multiple locations may apply for the grant for each individual location. A second payment intake is also available for organizations operating in regions affected by new public health orders issued on or after November 6, 2020. This second payment triples the first payment amount and provides up to $15,000 in additional funding. Together, a total of $20,000 in grant funding is available per eligible application. Eligible applicants can use these funds as they see fit to offset the cost of new public health measures or their relaunch costs (e.g. purchasing PPE, replacing inventory, paying rent and employee wages etc.)
A summary of the eligibility criteria is below. For a full list of the criteria, you can view the guide here.
- Be a legal entity registered in Alberta (e.g. a partnership, corporation, sole proprietor with a registered trade name or an NPO);
- Have a permanent establishment (PE) in Alberta;
- Carried on operations on February 29, 2020;
- Have less than 500 employees (full-time, part-time and contract);
- Had a temporary closure or curtailment of operations due to a public health order related to COVID-19;
- Have at least a 30% revenue decline in April or May, compared to the same month in 2019, or to February 2020, due to the public health order (there are special rules for seasonal businesses);
- Be open, or plan to reopen, as public health orders are lifted; and
- Not have other payments, grants, insurance, etc. compensating for lost revenues (some exceptions apply, including WCB premium relief, BCAP, CEBA, RRRF, CEWS, CECRA, CERS, CERB, CRB, CUSBRF, relief funding from municipalities, and Alberta grant relief for child care).
Applicants who have already applied for the first payment may now apply for the second payment. New applicants can apply for the first and second payments on a single application.
Applications will remain open until March 31, 2021, unless otherwise announced.
To apply, please view the program page where there is a link to the application portal.