The Alberta Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant
Information provided here is of a general nature and deals with time sensitive information that is changing on a rapid basis. Information may not apply to your particular facts and circumstances and should not be relied upon in lieu of seeking advice from your professional advisors. Neither KRP nor its partners, directors, contractors or employees will be liable for any actions taken from reliance on this information. Links to other websites or publications are provided for your convenience only and you may access them at your own risk. By supplying this information, KRP is not providing tax, accounting, legal, or professional service or advice.
This page was last updated on July 2, 2020.
On June 29, 2020, the Alberta government launched The Alberta Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant to help fund small- and medium-sized businesses in the province as they relaunch following COVID-19 shutdowns. Funding of 15% of revenue in either April or May, 2019 or February, 2020, to a maximum $5,000 (special rules for seasonal businesses) is available, and is intended to help cover the costs of extra cleaning supplies, physical barriers, personal protective equipment, as well as rent, wages, and inventory. For businesses with multiple locations, the grant is available for each location.
Here is a summary of the eligibility criteria. For a full list of the criteria, you can view the guide here.
- Be a legal entity registered in Alberta (e.g. a partnership, corporation, sole proprietor with a registered trade name or an NPO);
- Have a permanent establishment (PE) in Alberta;
- Carried on operations on February 29, 2020;
- Have no more than 500 employees (full-time, part-time and contract);
- Had a temporary closure or curtailment of operations due to a public health order related to COVID-19;
- Have at least a 50% revenue decline in April or May, compared to the same month in 2019, or to February 2020, due to the public health order (there are special rules for seasonal businesses);
- Be open, or plan to reopen, as public health orders are lifted; and
- Not have other payments, grants, insurance, etc. compensating for lost revenues (some exceptions apply, including WCB premium relief, BCAP, CEBA, RRRF, CEWS, CECRA and grant relief for child care).
The launch has staggered intake days based on regions, and the application opening dates are as follows
June 29, 2020: North (excluding Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Cold Lake, and Lloydminster)
June 30, 2020: South (excluding Edmonton, Leduc, Wetaskiwin, Camrose, Red Deer, Airdrie, Calgary, Medicine Hat, and Lethbridge)
July 1, 2020: Urban (includes Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Cold Lake, Lloydminster, Leduc, Wetaskiwin, Camrose, Red Deer, Airdrie, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge)
July 2, 2020: Calgary
July 3, 2020: Edmonton
July 4 onward: Any organization can apply at any time before the program closes
To apply, you can view the program page where there is a link to the application portal.