Agnes Leung, BCom, CPA, CA, CBV, RCPBusiness Valuations & Financial Litigation Support
Agnes is a Senior Manager with Kingston Ross Pasnak LLP and practices in the areas of business valuations, litigation support, due diligence and forensic accounting services.
- Registered Collaborative Professional, Collaborative Divorce Alberta Association - 2015
- Member, Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators - 2002
- Member, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants - 1997
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta - 1997
- Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting Major, University of Alberta - 1992
Agnes gained extensive experience in assurance, accounting and tax at a national and an international accounting firm prior to devoting her time to the practice of litigation support and business valuation areas. Her experience includes economic loss determinations in contemplation of litigation, business valuations, financial and economic analysis requiring an independent review. Agnes has been working in the provision of business valuation and litigation support services to plaintiff and defense lawyers since 1999. Agnes is trained in collaborative law, providing an unbiased perspective to spouses working through their financial separation.
Selected Business Valuations Experience:
Agnes has assisted, prepared and reviewed numerous reports for valuations of shares of corporations using the asset, income and market approach for a variety of purposes including tax re-organizations, matrimonial disputes, shareholder disputes, shareholder buy-outs, divestiture, employee share option plans, financing and a going-private transaction. These valuations have included clients of all sizes and from an extensive number of industries.
Selected Litigation Support Experience:
Agnes has prepared Litigation Reports to assist clients in a variety of situations that comply with the Rules of Court for both Plaintiff and Defendant actions.
Separation and Divorce:
- Prepared business valuations retained by Plaintiff’s counsel, Defendant’s counsel or jointly retained.
- Prepared guideline income determination pursuant to the Federal Child Support Guidelines and the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines for employees and self-employed payors.
- Assisted counsel to prepare Matrimonial Property Statements for Equalization Payments.
Personal Injuries and Fatalities:
- Prepared and reviewed reports quantifying the special damages including past and future loss of earning capacity, cost of future care, loss of household services capacity and income tax gross ups involving individuals who are university students, trades people, farmers, civil servants, physiotherapists, dentists, lawyers, self-employed individuals and owner-managers of businesses in a variety of industries.
- Prepared and reviewed reports quantifying dependency losses related to fatalities.
- Prepared rebuttal reports critiquing the economic loss reports prepared by plaintiffs’ experts arising from a variety of incidents.
- Involved in the preparation of an expert report to quantify losses of a sawmill due to fire with no insurance coverage.
- Involved in the loss of profit analysis for a manufacturer of valves in the oil and gas industry due to the alleged negligence of legal counsel to renew a patent.
- Prepared a loss analysis related to a breach of contract of alleged substandard products in the photo kiosks industry.
- Prepared rebuttal reports including a business loss arising from the termination of contract of an international food manufacturer and a business loss arising from the total loss of a trucking unit due to a motor vehicle accident that affected the operations of the production division of a public company.
- Involved in the determination of the cause of business failure and the loss quantification for a medical clinic.
- Quantified the damages of a farm, which arose from a partnership dispute.
- Assisted in the rebuttal of the quantification of damages to a company arising from City of Edmonton by-law changes.
- Quantified the loss of profits and increased operating costs due to an easement.
Business Interruption claims:
- Quantified a business interruption claim of a home security system installation company that suffered loss due to a flood.
- Quantified a business interruption claim for a night club due to a flood.
Purchase Price Allocation
- Assisted in the preparation of Purchase Price Allocation for a Western Canadian Oil and Gas industry service firm and an Oil and Gas Tools Manufacturer.
Goodwill Impairment Tests
- Assisted in the preparation of a Goodwill Impairment Test to assess the potential impairment of goodwill of a cable and communications company as a valuation specialist to assist the auditor.
- Prepared a Comprehensive Valuation Report for a company with technology and construction divisions that was listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange pursuant to 61-501 going-private transaction posted on www.SEDAR.com.
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants Canada (formerly CICA)
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants Alberta (formerly ICAA)
- Member of Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators
- Member, Collaborative Divorce Alberta Association
- Member, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
Continuing Education (selected):
- Advanced Matrimonial Property, Legal Education Society of Alberta, January 2016
- Interest Based Negotiation, Legal Education Society of Alberta, September 2015
- Basic Collaborative Law, Legal Education Society of Alberta, March 2015
- American Society of Appraisers & Chartered Business Valuators Joint Business Valuation Conference – Toronto, Ontario, 2014
- Matrimonial Property Issues, Legal Education Society of Alberta, November 2013
- Personal Injury and Insurance Update, Legal Education Society of Alberta, May 2012
Volunteer Activities (selected):
- Treasurer, Midwest Baptist Association, 2014 - current
- Coordinator, Make Tax Time Pay (a community tax clinic), 2011 and 2012